Waseca County Courthouse

307 N. State Street, Waseca, MN
Architecture: Richardsonian Romanesque
Year Built: 1897


 The County of Waseca was organized 27 February 1857. Wilton, St. Mary and Empire were county seat options. 12 October 1859, the county purchased a store building owned by Thos. L. Paige in Wilton to house the county affairs. Ten years later on 3 April 1869, the building was destroyed by fire. The county had temporary quarters in the Wagon Shop of Bernard Bundsehu in Wilton. 15 April 1869 the county purchased a building owned by John C. Hunter in Wilton. The town of Waseca was platted in 1867. February of 1870, a new brick courthouse was built in Waseca. The building was two stories, the lower floor housed four offices and the second floor held the court room. That building was removed from the grounds and in 1896-1897 a new courthouse was constructed of buff-colored brick with Kasota limestone highlights. In 1976, a two-story addition was attached to the north side of the original structure. The Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.