Print, Photographic
1920 Approximate
Lewer Building. Waseca Main Street. Waseca State Street. Waseca South State Street. Material: paper. Size: 5 1/2" x 3 1/2". Description: black and white postcard photograph of the Lewer building on South State Street at 2nd Avenue S.W., Waseca, MN. Print on front of postcard: "Lewer Garage, Waseca, Minn. 48H"; three story high brick building; street lamps on sidewalk; drinking fountain on corner; dirt street; cars parked in front of Lewer Garage and down street from Lewer Garage; Drink Coca-Cola painted on building next to Lewer Garage; sign for Weber's Barber Shop; Cedar Rapids Oil Co wagon at loading garage; men standing around wagon; Auto Livery Tel No. 92; Lew Fox Livery Hack and Autosteel.
Waseca Lewer Garage. Main Street, State Street. Built in 1916-1917 by Ewald Lewer, originally a three-story structure. The building’s basement was home to the E.E. Webber Barber Shop and the L.J. Fiebiger Tailoring Establishment. G.M. Hartson Confectionery Store was on the main floor. Dr. F.A. Swartwood’s offices and the Waseca Cooperative Milling Company’s offices were on the second floor. The third floor was used by the Lewer Garage as a paint shop and for storage purposes. Over the years, businesses continued to utilize the building along with the E.W. Lewer Garage. Display room of the garage building was leased to the Post Office department in 1926 until 1937. The Waseca library then rented the space and they remained in the building until after World War II in 1951. Lightning hit the building on September 1, 1966 causing the third floor to be destroyed by fire. The third floor was home to the gunstock manufacturing division of Herter’s Inc. Crevice Café was on the first floor of the Lewer building directly north of the garage offices. Jerry Huntington’s barber shop was located in the front basement of the building.