Print, Photographic
1995 Approximate
McConnell Stained Glass Dove Window, St. John's Episcopal Church, Janesville, MN. 3 1/2" x 5" color photo. Stained glass window. "In memory of the three infant children of Joseph and Mary McConnell. Samuel who died Febry 4th 1871 aged three years 6 months. Joseph who died March 7th 1866 aged 3 months. Ad? who died Sept. 27th 1867 aged 5 months."
St. John's Episcopal was the first Episcopal church in Janesville. It was built in 1875 south of the St. Ann Catholic Church on First Street. The circular stained glass window was given by Bishop Whipple, head of the Episcopal church of Minnesota. (He was known to have befriended the Indians during the 1860s.) The arched stained glass window in front was given by one of the railroads (either the Chicago & NW or the Winona RR) These 2 windows were removed and were stored on the Joe Britton farm south of Janesville. The Britton farm was sold in 2011. Other stained glass windows were donated by congregation members; some bought back the windows when the the congregation disbanded in 1995/96. The building was sold and became an antique and gift shop known as "Church Belles." Members of St. John's and Waseca's Episcopal church later formed a small congregation, Trinity Episcopal and held services at the house on 10th Ave. N. W. formerly Paul's Flowers or Ludwig's Flower Shop. Trinity Episcopal closed in the early 2000s; Janesville's church building was dismantled in 2011.