1.98.487
Print, Photographic
1970
South Central Education Organization. 5" x 3 1/2" black and white photograph of nine men in suits standing behind tables with chairs on the far side; background has movie screen on left, curtains, "Our New College" poster, easel with worksheets; identified as South Central Education Organization, 19 May 1970; (L-R) Rod Searle, Bob Wolf, Ken Peterson, ?, ?, Spencer Larson, ?, ?, Edgar F. Johnson
In August 1912, the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents purchased 246 acres of land half a mile to the south and west of Waseca on the edge of the city limits. The Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station began operations in 1913. In 1925, the Southeast Demonstration and Experiment Station became the Southeast Experiment Station. In 1941, with an additional land purchase, the station totaled 598 acres. Land was set aside for the Southern School of Agriculture (SSA) which admitted its first students in 1953. In 1969, the Southern School of Agriculture evolved into the University of Minnesota Technical College-Waseca then it was renamed as the University of Minnesota-Waseca (UMW), sharing land with the newly named Southern Experiment Station (SES). In 1992, UMW graduated its final class and then the UMW campus buildings were sold to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. In 1999, the Southern Experiment Station became the Southern Research and Outreach Center (SROC).