W. J. Armstrong Company Wholesale Grocers

202 S.W. 2nd Street, Waseca, MN
Architecture: Industrial
Year Built: 1900

The W.J. Armstrong Building, also known as the Southern Minnesota Grocery Warehouse, is the best preserved example of a railroad dependent business in Waseca. Although trucks have superseded trains, this three-story structure functioned as a grocery warehouse into the 1990s. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Preservation and renovation work was accomplished by Gene Miller after purchasing the building from the Isker family in November 1999. The building was one month from being torn down when Miller rescued it. The building was converted to corporate offices, a sports bar/restaurant and conference facility seating 96 people. Exterior brick was tuck-pointed and all windows were replaced. During the extensive renovation, Miller discovered that there are 700 columns and beams; 14,500 sq. ft. of maple floors; 92,500 bricks and a Kasota stone foundation. It is the only example of mill construction in southern Minnesota to support 200 pounds per square foot.