Bailey-Lewer Research Library

The Bailey House is one of Waseca's oldest homes, built in 1868, as Waseca County was being settled. Originally built by Dayton Smith, an accused horse thief, it was acquired in 1872, by P.C. Bailey, a hardware merchant, county official and director of the first committee to build a school in Waseca. P.C. Bailey died in 1907, and the house was purchased by the E.W. Lewer family who owned it until 1991. In that year the Waseca County Historical Society acquired the house along with a generous donation from the Lewer family. The house was placed on the National Historic Register in 1994. In 1997, a $30,000 grant was secured from the Minnesota Historical Society Grants program and matched by public funds and volunteer labor.