41.15.22
Pin, Military
1944
Military Pin Army Air Force Aircrew Badge or Wings Pin. Material: metal. Size: 3" L. Description: metal pin; wings; eagle with flag in center; The Aircrew Badge, commonly known as Wings, is a qualification badge of the United States military that is awarded by all five branches of armed services to personnel who serve as crew members on board military aircraft. The badge is intended to recognize the training and qualifications required by aircrew of military aircraft. In order to qualify as an aircrew member and receive the Aircrew Badge, such personnel typically undergo advanced training in aircraft in-flight support roles.
Maurice J. Hecht, son of Mrs. Ben Eichorst, 209 3rd Street N.E., Waseca, graduated from Morristown high school in 1938. Before entering the army he worked as a farmer and was inducted on August 9, 1941 at Fort Snelling. After graduating from radio school at Sioux Falls, SD Hecht earned his wings as an aerial gunner upon graduation from flexible gunnery school at Kingman, Arizona on 6 December 1943. Sergeant Hecht went overseas 11 May 1944 and his first mission was on June 4, 1944. Sergeant Hecht was awarded an Air Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters. On 22 October 1944, Hecht returned to the United States. Technical Sergeant Hecht was discharged at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin 5 September 1945. Maurice J. Hecht married Norma R. Draheim 22 December 1947 at St. John's Church in Waseca. Maurice has two brothers, Loren Hecht was with the Army and Ronald Rollo Hecht was with the Navy. A stepbrother, Lawrence Eichorst was with the Army.