Print, Photographic
Southeast Experiment Station. Material: paper. Size: 3 1/4" x 5". Description: black and white photograph of Boy Scouts working in the fields around the Southeast Experiment Station; standing left to right: Elmer Groebner, Howard Ruliffson, Glen Myers, Walter Engel, Bob Wald, Russell Peterson, Darold Farrell, Clarke McElmury; kneeling left to right: Marvin Robran, Howard Greeney, Lawrence Mellinger, Andie Downie, George Mellinger, Burk Senn, Bob Graham, Martin Senn.
Waseca Boy Scouts, Troop 85. Eagle Scouts, Aquilla Club. University of Minnesota, Waseca or UMW (1971-1993), formerly the Southern School of Agriculture (1951-1973). Southeast Experiment Station, which became the Southern Experiment Station (of the University of Minnesota). Photo located in Aquilla Club Scrapbook 41.05.1, U4, Box 173.2, Page 55. In August 1912, the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents purchased 246 acres of land half a mile to the south and west of Waseca on the edge of the city limits. The Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station began operations in 1913. In 1925, the Southeast Demonstration and Experiment Station became the Southeast Experiment Station. In 1941, with an additional land purchase, the station totaled 598 acres. Land was set aside for the Southern School of Agriculture (SSA) which admitted its first students in 1953. In 1969, the Southern School of Agriculture evolved into the University of Minnesota Technical College-Waseca then it was renamed as the University of Minnesota-Waseca (UMW), sharing land with the newly named Southern Experiment Station (SES). In 1992, UMW graduated its final class and then the UMW campus buildings were sold to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. In 1999, the Southern Experiment Station became the Southern Research and Outreach Center (SROC).