Office, Post
Smiths Mill Post Office. Material: wood, metal, glass. Size: 6' 9" L. x 6' 5" H. x 1' 10" D. Description: wooden frame post office box holder; glass windows in front; wooden counter with two drawers on employee side.
A Post Office was started at the residence of Henry Lane about 1876. The Smiths Mill Post Office was established May 4, 1876, and was named after the first Postmaster, Mr. Peter Smith who owned and operated a saw mill in the village. In October 1879, Chas. F. Stokes became postmaster and was succeeded in September 1882, by Michael J. Ryan who had opened a small store on the Blue Earth County side of the line. In July 1886, C.F. Giblin became postmaster and was succeeded in March 1890, by A.L. Lane. The Post Office was located in the railroad depot, but when railroad agent Clifford Watson left town in 1937, Charlie Stankey received the appointment as acting postmaster. Charlie Stankey received his commission as Postmaster in March 1938. The Post Office was located in the Stankey General Store. The main street of Smiths Mill marks the border between Blue Earth and Waseca Counties. The Stankeys recall that the job of postmaster went from one side of the street to the other. When the administration changed, the job would go either to Stankey or an Irishman named Ryan who owned a small store just across the street in Blue Earth County. Charlie Stankey served as Postmaster for 26 years. Then Elsie Stankey took over as postal clerk until they closed the store in 1967. The Smith Mill Post Office was located in the Stankey store for 91 years. Smiths Mill Post Office served over 100 boxes on the rural route and over 30 in Smiths Mill proper. Effective September 1, 1967 the box holders at the post office were served by Janesville Post Office rural route carrier George Gomsrud and were absorbed into the route number 3. This action ceased the operation of the Smiths Mill Post Office which was established on May 4, 1876. Post Office transferred from LeSueur County Historical Society to Waseca County Historical Society 4 September 2010.