Silver Staff. Material: metal, glass, wood, textile. Size: 5" W. x 36" L. Description: silver metal staff, clear glass globe topped by a silver star at one end; hand grips at 5 1/2" intervals with grooved metal pattern in between; small ball at other end; velvet lined wooden case housing; brass plate on case front engraved: "Presented to UMW June 5, 1981 by Mr. and Mrs. Harold C. Matson, Associate Professor, Mechanical Agriculture Department".
Staff borne by, carried before, or placed near a dignitary as a sign of his dignity and authority. The Mace is made of aluminum topped by a crystal sphere, which symbolizes the illuminating quality of education and the clarity of thinking. Harold Matson made the mace. In August 1912, the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents purchased 246 acres of land half a mile to the south and west of Waseca on the edge of the city limits. The Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station began operations in 1913. In 1925, the Southeast Demonstration and Experiment Station became the Southeast Experiment Station. In 1941, with an additional land purchase, the station totaled 598 acres. Land was set aside for the Southern School of Agriculture (SSA) which admitted its first students in 1953. In 1969, the Southern School of Agriculture evolved into the University of Minnesota Technical College-Waseca then it was renamed as the University of Minnesota-Waseca (UMW), sharing land with the newly named Southern Experiment Station (SES). In 1992, UMW graduated its final class and then the UMW campus buildings were sold to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. In 1999, the Southern Experiment Station became the Southern Research and Outreach Center (SROC).